Medical Services - Warts
Warts are benign growths caused by the human papilloma virus. Warts are extrememly common, especially during childhood. They are generally not harmful, but they can spread and be disfiguring. At Dermatology and Laser Institute of Colorado, we specialize in the treatment of warts on all body locations, including fingers, toes, soles, or body. The following is a list of some of the treatments that we offer for treatment of warts. You should keep in mind that no matter what type of treatment you have, multiple treatment sessions will usually be necessary.
- • Over the counter 40% salicylic acid pads (eg Mediplast)
- • Liquid nitrogen - Freezing with liquid nitrogen is a common treatment. It is safe and non-toxic but somewhat painful. Young children may not tolerate it.
- • Cantharidin (“beetle juice”) - A topical medicine which forms a blister where applied. Great for kids since it does not hurt when applied
- • Pulsed dye laser - We specialize in laser treatment of warts and other skin conditions. Laser is often useful for resistant warts. It is more painful than other treatments and not usually used in children.
- • Candida antigen (yeast extract) - This is injected into the wart to try to stimulate an immune reaction in the area.
- • Bleomycin - A chemotherapy drug which is injected into the wart. Painful but can be very effective for resistant warts.
- • Aldara and Efudex creams - Can be useful home therapies when combined with in-office treatments.
Treatment of Warts
World-Class Dermatology in an Innovative Direct Pay Practice